Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Passing of Summer

I keep hearing people talk about the weather: how great is the weather, it's so nice outside, I love this time of year. Yes, it's nice, I agree. But with this weather, at this point on the calendar, it only means one thing. Summer is over.

I like summer.

I know it's hot. I know the kids get restless. I know it's tornado season. But life in the summer is just easier!

You get to sleep in. (Okay, well I do. I have trained my kids to allow this to happen.)
You can send the kids outside to lower the noise level.
You can get SOOO much accomplished.
You can do nothing.
You can plan things in advance or at the last minute.
You can fit clothes for the whole family into one overnight bag.
You can suggest to grill and have hubby end up cooking the entire meal!

It just seems that in summer everything is easier. But for me it's more than that.

Summer is the epitome of youth. Carefree freedom... Windows down... U2 blaring.... Every relationship holds mystery and expectant longing.

The smell of a river or sound of the cicada's song diverts me back to a time when life was simple and the possibilities were vast. The humid wind blowing through my hair as I drive seems to clear my head of all the grown-up junk that clutters it, making me feel, if only for a moment, like I am innocent and frivolous again. The giggle or hollered "MOM!" from the back seat that pulls me back to reality does not disappoint me, but rather brings my years of experience and responsibilities back to mind. There is no doubt: I would not trade now for then. But the moment has been sweet.

So with the passing of Labor Day and with the autumnal equinox rushing towards us, I lament the passing of summer. While winter days hold a certain allure for me, they are not nearly as charming as summer.

So, Summer, thanks for the perspective. Until next year....

No comments: