Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where Were You When

September 11 was a date I had been anticipating for a week or so. It was going to be the first teacher's potluck luncheon of the school year. Endless goodies in the teacher's lounge for hours on end. My first break was at 10:30 central time when my first graders went to music.

The party room was remarkably empty. Undaunted, I filled my plate with a few good snacks and some obligatory vegetables, and sat for the first time that morning. A few minutes later, the librarian walked in, looked at me enjoying my full plate, and declared, "You haven't seen a TV yet." I confirmed I had not. Any teacher will tell you when you close your door in the morning, you create a world separate from reality, limiting your connection to a rare drop-in by the principal or another teacher looking for extra supplies. We likened it to being in a cave.

I remember her telling me two planes had flown into the twin towers and they had "fallen down." I had no comprehension of what she might mean. "What do you mean 'fallen down'?" I asked. "I mean they are just gone," she answered.

While I still couldn't fully understand (I was envisioning the top third of the buildings broken off), suddenly my plate was not so appetizing.

I did not see a replay of that sickening video of the crumbling buildings until arriving home that afternoon. What I remember most clearly from that day was the thought immediately brought to mind: "God you are all-powerful! You are in control!"

How could this be my reaction to such a gut-wrenching scene? Because of the grace of Jesus I understand that my God is more powerful than those who brought on this great tragedy, more powerful that the engineers that designed such marvelous buildings. He is still in control in the most horrific of situations and weeps with those are hurting. He allows free will and the consequences that are brought upon because of it, but he is not overcome by it!

We said then "We Will Never Forget." I sincerely hope we don't. It is a story that I have begun to tell my little class at home. But the lesson goes beyond US history or even the stories of valiant heros who faced tragedy. They are a part of His story.

It is about a God who is all-powerful, always in control.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good post. Love the Pink & Green Design of your blog! :)