Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Eyefire--And a little bit more

I've written this post many times in my head, but I guess I haven't been mad enough about it yet to actually publish it. But after watching the debate last night and hearing all the political crap stack up for the past few weeks, I'm done.

First of all, let me clarify my political convictions. I am a dyed in the wool conservative. I believe that this nation was established by deeply religious men and women who knew what it meant to take greater responsibility for the greater good. I believe they knew what would happen if all power was given to the people, and set up a Constitution with a system of checks and balances to prevent some of the pitfalls that we have been able to weasel ourselves into (with the help of our Constitution-interpreting friends). I believe in the same values of great presidents like Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Regan, and even George W. Bush. Yep! I said it! GW! Now I know my liberal-come-lately friends (if they're still reading) will take great offense to this, but I believe GW made a lot of politically unpopular choices just because they were the right thing to do. I'm not saying he's been the greatest president, and he will most likely lose the election for John McCain, but he has not pandered to the political powers in Washington (except perhaps in the recent political season) or the low polling numbers of the "what can my country do for me" public.

So now I am faced with choosing between a liberal and a flaming liberal to receive my vote for president.

I am irritated that so many people believe the "truth" presented to them by George Stephanopoils, Katie Couric, David Letterman, Tina Fey, Oprah, and all those smart Hollywood do-gooders on the red carpet! "Wow! That sounds really good! It must be true!"

I am irritated that for weeks we have been listening to the same political ads that tell us absolutely nothing! And we will only be assaulted with many more in the coming four weeks!

I am mad that the current financial crisis has some voters looking for immediate answers! Do you think Jimmy Carter (renowned president in history) thought he got away with one the year I reached my terrible twos? Could anyone see this $700 billion bailout looming in the future then? No one can say, Americans have had a part in creating this recession by spending more than they earn for years! "Why should the rich get to live like they are rich when I cannot. That is unfair!"

I am upset that charisma and charm are paving the way to the White House for another politician who will do just enough voter favors to say that he did and then maintain business as usual. Yes, there will probably be a tax refund, and a discussion on health care, but the problems that face the nation and the world will not be gone, but different and bigger in a way no one can yet anticipate. There will be more programs that the government will have successfully implemented, but nothing will be different.

But what I am most angry about is the fact that there is no one in this race that I hear speaking up for America! All I hear is politicians pandering for Americans' votes! "Everyone deserves..." "Under my plan, you will get..."

We are poised for an election where we will get what we want. More government bailouts. Equal privileges for all. Except maybe not an enduring democracy that will lead the world on the moral and economic front.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Love, love, love it!!!

And I love you!

Anonymous said...

I love your eyefire! Speak it, Sister!

lisa

Holly said...

"Eyefire" you crack me up. I think it's great that you have a strong opinion even though it is different from mine. And I think it's great you blogged about it. Your post sounds quite hopeless and I am sorry you feel that way. I hope you are wrong because I think we all need some hope. Can I use the word "hope" one more time?

I think in every election there are huge numbers of people who don't like either of their choices, at all. I have certainly been there and I hate it. I'm sorry you feel that way in this one.